Frequent Q&A’s

What is an IFA and whats the difference between them and the Local Authority?

An Independent Fostering Agency provides services to Local Authorities working in partnership with them. Local Authorities have a statutory responsibility for the children placed with an Independent fostering provider.


How long does it take to be approved as a carer?

From your first contact with us, through training, assessment to approval can take 3 to 4 months.


I’m a single person can I Foster?

Yes, it doesn’t matter whether you are single, married, lesbian, gay or living together with a partner. If you are married or living together, you have to have been doing so for at least 2 years.


I’m claiming benefits, will this stop me from fostering?

No, you would have to declare your fostering income. This may impact upon what benefits you receive, however not in all cases.


Who would I be employed by?

You would be self employed and therefore responsible for paying your tax and National Insurance.


I have criminal convictions, would this stop me from fostering?

Not necessarily, it would depend on the nature of the conviction and when it occurred. We would carry out Criminal Bureau (DBS) checks at an early stage and therefore you should inform us of any issues as soon as possible.