Being able to foster isn’t about whether you’re single, married, gay, lesbian, divorced or cohabiting. It isn’t about whether or not you already have children, or what your religious beliefs and practices are. Fostering is about being able to respond to a child and helping them thrive.
In order for us to ensure that the children and young people are safe and secure it is very important that our foster carers meet a number of requirements.
Typical Foster Caring Requirements
To Foster you need to be:
- Over 25 years of age….have some life experience…and this will be discussed with you.
- In a position to be available full time. If you are a couple, one of you needs to be the main carer
- Interested and enjoy working with children
- Prepared for and understand that the fostering task can be challenging
- Flexible, resourceful and able to use your own initiative
- Able to work as part of a team
- Respectful of individual differences
- Able to provide a spare room for the sole use of fostering
- Able to meet a child’s transport requirements
Fostering involves the whole family and it is important that each family member is included in the decision to foster. To find out full details on the requirements please visit our contact page or call us directly on 0800 488 0081.